Lemon is a very common fruit and is easily available. Most of us love having lemons or lemon juice in the summers to beat the summer heat but only few know that lemon has a number of nutritional benefits and can be used in many ways.
Lemon comes from an evergreen tree originally found in Asia and the fruit is usually greenish or yellow. The whole fruit with its pulp, the juice, the rind and the zest are used in cooking as well as non-culinary purposes. Lemon juice is often used to make lemonade and other lemon beverages. The juice contains 6% citric acid which makes its taste sour. They contain vitamin c, calcium, folate, vitamin b5, vitamin b3, vitamin b1 and b2, iron, magnesium, phosphors, potassium, zinc as well as sugar, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, fat and protein.
Health benefits of lemon:
Lemons have citric acid so they taste acidic but the juice helps to form alkaline in the body and are used in cooking as well as various other things.
Here we provide you an exhaustive list of health benefits of lemon:
1. Lemons are a rich source of vitamin c. vitamin c is essential to keep you immune from cough and cold. Also they contain flavonoids which work against viruses and keep the body fit.
2. Lemons help alkalize the body by restoring the pH balance of the body.
3. Drinking lemon juice with warm water in the morning will help in giving regular and easy bowel movement. This particular one of the lemon juice benefits can certainly come in handy at time! Following a lemonade diet is certainly beneficial for those with troubled bowel movements
4. Lemon juice helps to dissolve uric acid and other poisons as well as it helps to liquefy the bile; thus it helps to stimulate the liver and detoxifies it.
5. In traditional ayurvedic medicine, lemon is greatly valued as it helps to help with gastric troubles, helps to keep vision safe, is pungent and works as an astringent.
6. Vitamin c which is found in lemons help to neutralize the free radicals which cause aging and diseases.
7. Lemon has been discovered to be the only food in the world which is anionic (ion with negative charge). So it is very important for the body.
8. Eye disorders have shown improvement with consumption of lemon which has rutin.
9. One of the uses of lemon has been discovered to be 22 anti cancer compounds which include limonene that slows down the growth of cancer tumors and flavonol glycosides which can stop cell division in cancer cells.
10. Lemon benefits includes it ability to help destroy the presence of intestinal worms
11. Lemon peel has tengeretin which has been proved to be effective for brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease.
12. Lemon is known for its antibacterial properties and can destroy malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other bacteria.
13. Vitamin p in lemon helps to strengthen blood vessels
14. Lemons use are highlighted in treating high blood pressure as well
15. Vitamin c in lemon helps to treat scurvy. British navy stocks its ships with lemons to help the sailors to have at least an ounce of juice each day.
16. The citric acid in lemon helps to dissolve gall stones, kidney stones as well as calcium deposits.
Lemon benefits for skin care:
17. Lemon is a great astringent and can be used as a skin astringent as well.
18. Lemon juice can work wonders for oily skin. Using lemon juice on skin can help reduce the excess oiliness of the skin.
19. Lemon juice is a natural antiseptic and if used within a facial mask, it can help clear oil and dirt as well as bacteria which cause breakouts.
20. Lemon juice is very effective to reduce acne. Use a small cotton bud dipped in freshly squeezed lemon juice to help reduce its appearance.
21. Lemon juice is also said to be effective on pimples and acne scars. Using freshly pressed lemon juice over scars after cleansing face in the evening will help reduce the appearance of scars.
22. Use lemon juice to lighten the freckle marks effectively. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice on freckles before going to bed at night. Follow the method for two weeks to see the freckles appear lightened.
23. If you feel the raw juice is too strong for your skin, add a little water to dilute it. This way the intensity will lessen.
24. Use lemon juice to make age marks less visible. Use lemon juice on the body parts such as elbows, knees, face, hands to get smooth skin and less visible age marks.
25. Lemon juice works great for nails as it has vitamin c which makes nails healthy and strong. To help keep nails healthy immerse the nails in a bowl of lemon juice for about 10 minutes. Then immerse them in a mixture of warm water and white vinegar. Rinse off with water and see the difference in your nails.
26. Lemon works great to condition dry and damaged hair. Lemon juice used with 3/4th cup olive oil and ½ cup raw honey will help in keeping hair damage free and conditioned. Apply the mixture on hair and cover with a plastic wrap for half an hour. After the 30 minutes rinse off and use a mild shampoo to clean your hair.
Lemon is easily available in the market so beat the heat this summer and get tons of lemon benefits!